Tuesday, May 29, 2012

It's Inappropriate for the Chronologically-Challenged

I once recommended a movie to someone who then asked me if it was appropriate for children. I tried to explain that, while it didn't have graphic sex, violence, or language, it still wasn't child-friendly due to its thematic content. What annoyed me was when I realized every word or phrase I could use to describe that type of material made it sound like a very different kind of "not for children" movie.

Adult? Check.

Mature? Double-check.

For Adults Only? Check, check, check.

What I find even more interesting is that, while the connotation of the word "Mature" in cinema is gratuitous graphic sex, "Mature" in video games often connotes gratuitous graphic violence. I'm not really sure how that happened, since, personally, the people I think of as being truly mature don't generally buy that kind of entertainment.

And I still need a way to describe that movie.

Graphic is (c) 2012 A. M. Perkins.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment