Thursday, May 24, 2012

Think First or Ask Stupid Questions Later

Everyone knows that sometimes people don't really think before they speak. I could be mean and say I'm beginning to suspect that they'd still say the same thing no matter how much thinking they did beforehand, but for now I'm still optimistic enough to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they're just not taking the vital moment to pause and think.

Case in Point: My grandfather on my dad's side was a twin. When sharing this family fact with someone, my dad says, "My father had a twin sister."

The person's response: "Oh, were they identical?"

Insert pause while my father decides on the type of response this question warrants, from snide to straight-faced, and settles on slightly yet sweetly sarcastic, softened with a smile.

"Well, I can think of a couple of differences."

Picture is (c)2012 A. M. Perkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment