Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Adventures in Pedestrian-ing

I have to walk 6 blocks to reach the evening bus from work.  Pretty boring, right?  If only. 

Keep in mind, I'm an unbelievably law-abiding pedestrian.  Seeing a jaywalker get struck by a car, fly through the air, land on his head, and die will do that to you.  I also am a very defensive walker.  I watch for the drivers running red lights, the drivers texting, the drivers texting will petting their chihuahua and turning (it happened).

Even so, I can't completely avoid the crazies.  One of my favorites:  I'm crossing a five-lane road when I see a Mustang roaring up in the left turn lane - the left turn lane that will have her barreling into the lane I'm currently crossing.  I look at the driver, but she's too busy looking at an oncoming bus and guessing whether or not she can beat it without getting broadsided.

This is the point where I run for it.  As an additional "attention-getter," I frantically wave my hands in the air as I go - motion is pretty visible, right?

As my heel hits the sidewalk, I hear screeching tires behind me.  This woman, who was in such an insane rush 2 seconds ago, has found me so offensive she takes the time to stop, roll down her window, and scream:

"DON'T YOU F---ING WAVE AT ME!!!"

Who knows what she would have done if my blood had messed up her paint job.

Drawing and picture are (c)2012 A. M. Perkins.  All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how traumatic it would be to see someone hit and killed. I think that'd turn anyone into a defensive walker. And wow- that a crazy lady. Makes you wonder what people are thinking sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that experience (seeing someone killed) cured me of jaywalking overnight.

    Sadly, it seems most people's thoughts while they're driving through my city are "What the heck is that pedestrian doing crossing my road?!"

    ReplyDelete